Between all of the machine sewing and quilting that have kept me gainfully occupied over the last few months, I have taken a little time to work on my boutis.
You may remember the little saffron coloured boutis rose window below from my post on October 15, 2014 http://seamsfrench.blogspot.ca/2014_10_01_archive.html . Once stitched and corded, it was soaked in a basin of warm water with a little gentle soap (such as Orvis), and then straightened and squared up with thumb tacks on a heavy sheet of styrofoam. It was originally destined to become a pin cushion, however, at 5" x 5", I find it too large to be practical for that use. Currently, it's ultimate destiny is undetermined.
|I used only 2 basic stitches on this piece: the running stitch and the back stitch. For more info on the stitches and their variations, click on the above link.|
Done a number of years ago, the little cicada used in both of the pieces below was my first attempt at boutis design. Most of the stitching and cording had been completed at that time, and now required only a little more cording to finish. It's very simple design allowed for a little fun in the "glam-it-up" department, so I added some more embroidery (French knots) as well as some beading.
|Washed and drying on the "blocking board".|
|All of the channels, as well as the filler stitch in the wings, were stitched with the running stitch. The legs were embroidered using a stem stitch. And little crystal beads were added as a final embellishment.|
|Stitched the same as the previous cicada, this one has French Knots added as a filler in the wings.|
They measure approximately 5" x 6" and will mounted into card stock and make for a special little birthday card (or something!).