Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from 2020

Boutis: Hummingbird Gold

With the stitching and cording finished on "Cathedral Boutis Blues", I have started my next boutis design. Whenever I design a project for myself, I like to make it relevant to my world and my experiences, just like every generation of quilters and designers has always done.
Birds have always fascinated me and one of the delights of our balcony garden is the constant flurry of hummingbirds around the 3 feeders my husband faithfully tends. I am thrilled for the opportunity to observe and photograph these delicate creatures at such close range. They have inspired many of my patterns.

 The colours of this project are brighter. Lighter. I'm using gold silk threads in various weights that are stitched onto 2 layers of white cotton batiste.
A sister project to "Boutis Blues", "Hummingbird Gold" continues the story of Notre Dame Cathedral portraying an evolution of a restored cathedral as it continues into the century.

Cathedral Window Boutis Blues

Stitched in white, restitched in shades of smoky blues and then finally corded, my boutis interpretation of the Notre Dame Rose window (Rose Sud) was finished over the summer. "Stitching the Boutis Blues", which was posted on October 10/2019, describes the inspiration and the evolution of this piece.
The original intent of the project had been to make a traditional white on white boutis piece. The addition of the cut out "rosettes", a technique that I had been wanting to try for a while, were added to lend a sense of luminosity to the window. With the rosettes done, the stitching was complete and the piece was ready to be corded. But then, on April 15, 2019, when much of  the Notre Dame Cathedral of Paris was destroyed in a devastating fire, a pristine, light interpretation of the rose window no longer seemed appropriate. I felt that the piece needed to be darkened, dirtied somehow, to convey this recent destruction.
To achieve this darkened smokiness, I started ove…

Whole Cloth Quilt Silk: Finished

"Dancing Shamrocks", as I have named her, is finally finished and on the bed.


My hope had been to finish the quilt for our 40th wedding Anniversary, which was March 17th.
2019!

It was in May of 2018 that I was ready to start the machine quilting. By November of that year, the top of the quilt was finished with only the border left to quilt. A 2019 finish seemed quite possible. Unfortunately, unforeseen circumstances put the project on hold from Dec.2018 until October 2019. However, from then until it's finish in April of this year, my sewing machine and I have been best of buds.

Even so, we didn't quite make it for March 17th of this year, our 41st, but came close. The last stitch closing the binding went in on April 24, 2020.


When squaring up so large quilt (94" x 100"), a clean floor is my only option and the parquet flooring gives me great reference points for getting it square. Unfortunately, when I laid it out, setting up for advantageous photo angles didn…