On my current "to do" list is a new bed quilt for my husband and myself. When I design a quilt I try to choose symbols and motifs that have significance to the recipient, in this case, my husband and me.
The first sample shows my stitched interpretation of this butterfly using cotton sateen fabric on the top and bottom, with Heirloom Hobbs cotton batting.
|For all of these samples, I used a variety of very fine threads (#100). In all cases, the bobbin thread is "Superior Bottom Line". Here the top thread is a rayon machine embroidery thread .|
The next sample shows the same design using silk dupioni fabric on the quilt top and bottom, with a wool batting, and stitched with YLI silk thread #100. What a revelation! Having used neither silk cloth or wool batting for a quilt before, I really did not understand what a difference it could make. The difference in the loft is amazing, and because it is significantly lighter in weight, it is much easier to work with. I am sold on both the wool batting and the silk fabric for future whole cloth quilts. It's a good thing!
|The light, fluffy, crinkly feel of the silk and wool reminded me of the "poofy" taffeta dresses with crinolines that I used to wear to birthday parties when I was a kid. (I have always thought that quilting is a party!!!)|
|Side by side comparison; silk on the left, cotton on the right. Note the difference in the relief.|
In this last sample I'm playing with the design of a gardenia, which was the flower in my wedding bouquet.
|For future reference, I keep track of details such as thread type, needle size and tensions right on the sampler.|
The design will evolve and change many times before I am ready to commit actual stitches to the real thing next autumn, when we will have been to and from France again. Until then, I will continue to have fun experimenting and playing with ideas.