The pouch is tri-fold, with 3 different design elements; a butterfly on the front flap, a shamrock on the front of the pocket (underneath the flap), and the "point de Vauvert" pattern on the back. Because "point de Vauvert" is quite heavily corded, it gives the pouch more structure and stability.
|The finished pouch has been washed and is tacked to a sheet of foam core to square it up as it dries.|
The piece has been primarily stitched with the running stitch, the most commonly used stitch in boutis. On the butterfly below, you can see that I have stitched the antennae with an outline stitch to add emphasis. The antennae would be completely lost if I had used the running stitch here. To highlight them further I also used white embroidery floss. This is the only place in the pouch that I used the outline stitch.
The only other stitch used in this piece is the back stitch, in the "point de vauvert" pattern, on the back of the pouch (below). "Point de vauvert" is a pattern of short lines (3-5 tiny back-stitches each), separated by equal distances from each other. Each row is off-set alternately to the one above it. It is then corded in 4 directions. This gives it more structure and stability.
To my utter horror, as I was cording and clipping cord ends, a moment of carelessness led to a clip in the fabric. Argh!!!! No way to selvedge that one! Until that happened, this was to be a gift for a special friend in France. Ah well.... . Next!
Not to let my disappointment get the better of me, I finished the cording and moved on to assembling the finished pouch. For the lining I used "Radiance", a silk/cotton blend manufactured by Kaufman.
|With right sides together, I hand stitched the front flap piece to the lining piece and trimmed the edge.|
|Next, the pockets are made. The top of the piece, the section with the shamrock, is stitched to the middle section, which becomes the back of the pouch. The same 2 sections of the lining are stitched right sides together.|
Once the front flap has been turned inside out, and the pocket lining has been inserted into the finished boutis pocket, the pouch is set to go. Well, pretty much set to go, except for the closure.
Because I wanted something light and delicate, I decided on a little tear drop bead for the button with a crocheted button loop. (See above and below).
|The back of the pouch.|
|The finished pouch.|
Having been relegated to the "sample" shelf of my stitching life, it's on to the next pouch for my friend. (Thank goodness it's not meant to be for any particular occasion, so the time-line is not crucial). There will likely be changes! (And..., hopefully a little more TLC!)