That having been said, it's time to dust off the keyboard and push the reset/reboot key on the blog.
The break from the "blogisphere" did not transfer over to a break from either sewing machine or needle and thimble. Over the last few months both have been gainfully occupied and have produced some finishes and, as always, new starts and more Phd's (Projects half done).
First on the priority list was the little "High Flying" baby quilt. It was finished and sent off to it's new little owner in June, where hopefully it brought sweet dreams with it.
|Completed baby quilt.|
My quilting designs can come from almost any source. The cloud pattern used in the background (close-up below) was inspired by the embossed pattern on some paper towels. Why not?
As the quilting design for the sun evolved it seemed to take on an "Aztecy" pattern. Because the shapes of the sun were fairly large, I decided to break them into smaller sections first before filling in with denser quilting. As each section developed, this "Aztec" look seemed to be emerging. It quite surprised me, but sun and Aztec sort of make sense together, so I went with it.
The kite tails, and it's bows and bobbles, were probably the most labour intensive bits in the assembly of the quilt. Getting them together involved Celtic bias bars, fusible web, wash away stabilizer, machine satin stitch and then finally machine applique of all the little bits and bobs. (Little bang for a lotta buck!) They better not come off after all that.
Each little kite got it's own quilting design.
At the outset of this quilt, the goal was to use only fabrics from my stash. I even had the batting. And... , I almost made it. For the backing, I had intended to use the same polka dot fabric that is in the border on the front of the quilt. However, it would have needed an additional 1 - 1 1/2 inch border stitched onto each side. When push came to shove, I found it too distracting, so I opted to support one of my favourite local quilt shops. This fabric is heavier looking then the polka dot fabric, but it was the best option that I could find on short notice.
|The completed quilt.|
The quilt was fun and relatively fast to make (in quilting time!). I have to admit that I am quite taken with the "Seams Baby" side of stitching.
And who knows, one of these days, my stash may actually give birth to a complete quilt!