Skip to main content

Machine Quilting: Thread Painting and Background Fillers

In preparation for quilting my large bed quilt, auditioning stitching patterns and thread colours and weights has been an ongoing side project for the last several months.

Some of the questions I considered:
- Where is the focal point of the quilt? Is there more than one?
- How can I create relief around the motif to be highlighted?
- Which background filler is the most effective?
- Should contrast be created by the colour of the threads or by using varying weights of thread?  Or maybe a combination of both?

The 3 samples below are exploring the possibilities.

Sample 1 is stitched using the same colours and materials that are in the quilt: teal silk dupioni that has been stabilized, 1 layer of wool batting and a cotton backing. All of the samples are using design elements from the quilt itself.

In this first sample I tried my hand at thread painting with a contrasting colour. I used Magnifico, Superior's 40 wt. poly for the outline of the motif, and a 100 wt. silk for the background filler.

I wasn't at all sure that I would like the effect, but seeing it up on my design wall for the last several weeks, I'm beginning to think I might go that route for small portions of the quilt.



The second sampler below, also done on dupioni, is stitched using a variety of tone on tone threads. The object of this little study was finding background fillers that highlight the main motifs and add interest to the background. It's easy to see which fillers are the most effective for enhancing relief and which just blend into each other creating no variation in texture.


On the 3rd piece below, I'm sampling different weights of thread with a slight variation in colour.


To accentuate the gardenias, I used Magnifico which is a heavier thread, as well as Tire thread, a 50 wt. silk. In both cases the colour was slightly lighter than the fabric. For the background gridwork, I used Superior's 100 wt. Kimono silk in a darker shade. Darker shades recede and disappear, adding highlight to the motif. My bobbin thread in all cases is Bottom Line, a 60 wt. poly, also by Superior.


Finding a good balance of tension between the top and bobbin thread when free motion quilting is always a headache. After a long process of trial and elimination of many different types, weights and combinations of threads, I have found the most success with Superior's threads. Everyone has different preferences and all machines react differently, but my Bernina stationery machine seems to play nicely with this thread. Most of the time! ...... !!  Touch wood!!!


The large bed covering is finally set for quilting. The design has been transferred and the quilt is sandwiched. It's been a long process getting here, and now the fun really starts. Now, ......... all I need ......... is a large chunk of time.  Hmmmm... !


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whole Cloth Quilt Silk: Finished

"Dancing Shamrocks" , as I have named her, is finally finished and on the bed. My hope had been to finish the quilt for our 40th wedding Anniversary, which was March 17th. 2019! It was in May of 2018 that I was ready to start the machine quilting. By November of that year, the top of the quilt was finished with only the border left to quilt. A 2019 finish seemed quite possible. Unfortunately, unforeseen circumstances put the project on hold from Dec.2018 until October 2019. However, from then until it's finish in April of this year, my sewing machine and I have been best of buds. Even so, we didn't quite make it for March 17th of this year, our 41st, but came close. The last stitch closing the binding went in on April 24, 2020. When squaring up so large quilt (94" x 100"), a clean floor is my only option and the parquet flooring gives me great reference points for getting it square. Unfortunately, when I laid it out, setting up for advantag

Whole Cloth Silk Quilt: Quilting Progress

Stitch by Stitch and Line by Line When I started the first rough sketches for a quilt for our bed back in 2013, I had no idea it would take this long to finally get the quilt to the quilting stage. As the ideas came and went, and we came and went to and from France every six months, the designs got altered, rejected, put on hold and restarted many times. Staying at home for the last few years, progress was actually possible. Thanks to Autocad and my husband's input, the design finally came together early this year.  Whew! The quilt is now well on it's way, with a hoped for finish before 2019. (Fingers crossed!) Most of the outline got quilted before the chalk lines disappeared. All major design lines are outlined with 1/2" channels. Using a quilting ruler (in this case Kelly Cline's straight edge ruler ) is very helpful for accuracy. I love these rulers and am getting pretty comfortable with the ones used for stitching straight lines. On my next p

Blocking and Squaring Boutis

The door of her cage has been opened. She is free to fly off and find her destiny. After many months of hand stitching and then many more months of cording, my little "colibri" is ready to set off on her own. As this was my first attempt at designing so large a boutis piece, it has been a bit of a learning curve. All of the tight swirls, curls and circles are a great deal more difficult and time consuming to cord then are the longer more gentle channels. Maintaining an even tension is absolutely necessary throughout the process, so patience comes in very handy when doing the cording. Once all of the stitching and cording is complete, the boutis must be washed and squared up. After it is soaked overnight in a basin of water with a mild detergent, it gets rinsed gently in several clear washes, then rolled in a towel to remove the excess water.  If some of the pencil lines have not disappeared after the inital soaking, it can be soaked again, as often as is necessary