Last year, I sold these four placemats. Since then, I have had a request for 4 more that are the same or similar. Because the red and beige bird "toile" was the only fabric left in the stash, the other fabrics had to be matched and re-purchased.
To help with this process of matching fabrics, my daughter and I had catalogued all of my fabrics according to colour a few years ago. A 3"x3" sample was cut from each fabric and glued to a sheet of cardstock with other fabrics from the same colour family.
|As I purchase new fabric, I cut a 3"x3" block from it and add it to the file.|
Underneath each sample I keep a record of the name of the fabric, where it was purchased, and the cost.
|Even once the fabric has been used up,the sample stays in the file for future reference, so that I can use it to purchase a matching fabric, as is what I did with these four placemats.|
When fabrics are used in a specific project, I make another card of samples and keep it in a binder, (in a photo sleeve), along with the construction details.
The new placemats have been pieced, and are ready for quilting. Other then the solid burgundy binding, the fabrics are very similar.
The pieced top is laying on the backing fabric, with the burgundy binding loosely draping the edges.
My hope is to eventually update the binder to include most of my recent projects.