|"Redwork Forest" assembled quilt top. ("Paper and Plums" pattern by Alexandra Ledgerwood.)|
Early in 2016, I had set out a few goals for myself, one being the intent of sewing a block a day using only scraps. Well, I soon discovered that a block a day was counter productive; the gathering of materials and set up takes too much time on a daily basis for only one block. The problem was resolved by making one day a week a day to focus on the scraps. This has worked out fairly well, and on December 1st the count was 345 completed blocks, in 4 different colour ways.
Scrap 1: "Gone Scrappy" with warm ochres and olive greens, scraps left over from the warm, sunny "Languedoc" days.
Scrap 2: "Winging It" made with bright and colourful baby quilt scraps.
Scrap 3: "Flower Garden" was a project that I had started in Winnipeg in 2004 prior to our move to the west coast and Montpellier. The squares and sashing had already been cut and all that was required was stitching the blocks together. A quick and easy assembly.
Scrap 4: The rich reds and toile de jouy scraps of "Redwork Forest" are another reminder of sun filled, fun filled days in Montpellier. When the flu bug struck in early December, everything, including me, came to an abrupt stop for the rest of the month.
These strip pieced blocks of Redwork Forest were the final set of blocks for the year, and as of the end of January 2017, all necessary blocks for the quilt were completed, taking the total count of blocks for 2016 to 369, a surplus of 3 whole blocks. Yeah me!
I will now work on assembling the blocks of Scrap 1, 2 and 3 into completed quilt tops, but, in the meantime, Scrap 4 just got stroked off the list. Double yeah!!! (Quilting goals to be set at some future date.)