Skip to main content


Showing posts from February, 2015

Break for Boutis

Blocking Boutis: Between all of the machine sewing and quilting that have kept me gainfully occupied over the last few months, I have taken a little time to work on my boutis. You may remember the little saffron coloured boutis rose window below from my post on October 15, 2014 . Once stitched and corded, it was soaked in a basin of warm water with a little gentle soap (such as Orvis), and then straightened and squared up with thumb tacks on a heavy sheet of styrofoam. It was originally destined to become a pin cushion, however, at 5" x 5", I find it too large to be practical for that use. Currently, it's ultimate destiny is undetermined. I used only 2 basic stitches on this piece: the running stitch and the back stitch. For more info on the stitches and their variations, click on the above link. Done a number of years ago, the little cicada used in both of the pieces below was my first attempt at boutis